Saturday, September 10, 2011

Crock Pot Appetizers: Italian Biscuits and Marinara Sauce

So...technically this isn't a crock pot appetizer. But if you read Monday's post you know I have a triple crock pot and I like to mix it up a bit.

You will use your crock pot, but just to heat up marinara sauce to put next to these heavenly appetizers....Italian Biscuits and Marinara Sauce.

I bet the other Divas are reading this right now thinking...it's been awhile! I seem to recall the last time I served these there was an argument as to who got to eat the last one(which is the true sign of a great recipe).

This is a variation of a Pillsbury recipe I found years ago. The biggest difference is in how I wrap them. The original recipe called for a different way to cut the biscuits, but we have experimented over the years and found this works best.

Italian Biscuits and Marinara Sauce
-1 can of buttermilk biscuits (large/jumbo...the big ones!)

-10 precooked frozen meatballs, thawed and cut in half
(to thaw, I put in microwave for 60 seconds, or until slightly warm)

-2 pieces of string cheese (each cut into 10 small pieces)

-1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

-1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning

-1 tablespoon grated Parmesan

Directions:
1. Cut each biscuit into thirds (3 triangles)
2. In the middle of each triangle, place an upside down meatball half, flat side up
3. Place a piece of string cheese on top of the meatball
4. Wrap the points of triangle around meat/cheese and form a ball of dough around the ingredients
5. Place the balls seam side down into sprayed baking dish. If I'm making the recipe as written I use a 9 inch round pan. But if you double it (which I usually have to do to appease the guests!) use a 12 X 8 brownie pan.
6.Sprinkle the garlic powder, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese on top (do the cheese last!)
7.Cook at 375 for 25 minutes or until they are no longer "doughy" on the inside.
8. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping

Enjoy! (My husband said to add "Yum")

No comments:

Post a Comment