Sunday, June 5, 2011
April's Cake: Cold Oven Cream Cheese Pound Cake
I'm a little behind in posting for the Cake Slice Bakers. We're supposed to post on the 20th of each month, but while I'm not behind on the baking and eating of the cakes, I'm behind on the posting of the cakes.
April's cake was on of my favorites! Cold Oven Cream Cheese Pound Cake was moist and dense and the ginger added a special zing! One way that I judge pound cake is by the "crust". I like a golden brown and chewy crust and this recipe fit the bill.
The only thing I may change is to add less lemon zest. This is definately a must make again cake!
3 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese
2 1/2 cups sugar
6 eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1. Adjust the oven rack to the lower-middle position. Grease a 12-cup Bundt pan and dust with flour. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Combine the butter, cream cheese, and sugar in a large mixing bowl and ceram with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 mintues, scraping down the sides as necessary.
3. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat in the vanilla, ginger, and lemon zest.
4. Turn the mixer to low speed and add the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. After the last addition, mix for 30 seconds on medium speed.
5. Place the cake in a cold oven. THurn the oven to 325 degrees and bake, without opening the oven door, until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 65-80 minutes. **Mine took about 90 minutes
6. Cool the cake in pan for 15 minutes, then invert it onto rack. Cool completely before slicing and serving.
Goes great with some fresh whip cream and raspberries!