Thursday, April 8, 2010

Outside-the-box pasta pie (By Cheesy Diva)



Truth be told, “The Big Cheese” didn’t come into marriage with a ton of cooking knowledge. So, when I received The Food Network “How To Boil Water, Life Beyond Takeout” recipe book for a shower gift, I was THRILLED! This is the very first recipe I ever tried from this book, and Mr. Cheese and I fell in love all over again. It is my pleasure to introduce “The Big Cheese’s” first recipe…so good, I just may make this one tonight!



What you need:
1-teaspoon salt
8 ounces penne pasta
½ cup milk
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
Pinch of nutmeg
Black Pepper
2 slices of bacon
½ medium onion (I like red!)
¼ cup drained sun-dried tomatoes
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed
2 ounces cream cheese
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

How it’s put together:
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees.
2. Boil pasta for 6-8 minutes, or until al dente
3. Whisk milk, eggs, mustard, Worcestershire, nutmeg and black pepper in a large bowl. Add cooled penne pasta to the bowl.
4. Slice bacon into thin strips, roughly chop onion and tomatoes.
5. Melt butter and cook bacon until it begins to crisp (3-4 minutes)
6. Add onion, tomatoes and broccoli to the bacon filled skillet – cook for about 5 minutes.
7. Toss the vegetable mixture with the pasta, cream cheese, and 1 ½ cup of cheddar cheese until cream cheese melts.
8. Grease a 9-inch pie dish with butter. Mound pasta mixture in the dish. Scatter the remaining cheddar cheese over top. Back for 25 minutes.

Side Note: When I’m feeling crazy, I will add chicken to the dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment